Moʻolelo ʻĀina o Hilo is the name of our annotated map of Hilo.
William DeWitt Alexander and others lead the Hawaiian Government Survey from 1870-1915. The HGS undertook surveying and mapping Hawaiʻi. Originally drawn in 1891 for the Kingdom, this detailed map recorded numerous place names, features of the landscape and land boundaries as they were known then. In collaboration with Lokelani Brandt, M.A., Archaeologist and Ethnohistorian, other inoa ʻāina revealed during research have been incorporated, including but not limited to place names, ahupuaʻa, and loko iʻa distinguished by color.
This map shows the Hilo town from Wailuku River to Wailoa River.
24x36 inch poster print